Home / Top Story / British man dies in Thailand after 36 hour drinking binge

British man dies in Thailand after 36 hour drinking binge

Peter Nicholson died of alcohol poisoning following a 36-hour drinking binge in Thailand.Facebook

Peter Nicholson died of alcohol poisoning following a 36-hour drinking binge in Thailand.

A British tourist died after a 36 hour drinking session where he downed four buckets of Red Bull and vodka.

Peter Nicholson died in Thailand after necking more than 20 bottles of lager as well as shots of Sambuca plus Jack Daniels and cola on the first day of his holiday.

The 29-year-old was left “wide eyed drunk” and died from alcohol poisoning an inquest heard, reported Mirror Online.

Nicholson was found dead in his hotel room in Bangkok by his friends the morning after the fatal binge.

The ‘Thai buckets’ are an infamous part of the country’s Full Moon Parties that are filled with spirits, ice and a mixer of choice.

Nicholson from Wigan, Greater Manchester, had regularly visited Thailand before his death on May 31 last year.

He began drinking before his flight departed from Manchester Airport and knocked back more lager and spirits on board.

When he arrived and met up with friends, he went on to drink another 20 bottles of strong lager, along with shots of Sambuca.

He then attended another party with friends where he shared four buckets of vodka and Red Bull.

Nicholson died after necking more than 20 bottles of lager as well as shots of Sambuca and buckets of vodka and Red Bull.Facebook

Nicholson died after necking more than 20 bottles of lager as well as shots of Sambuca and buckets of vodka and Red Bull.

Nicholson was said to be “laughing and joking” in his bedroom and ordered food but was found dead at 9am the following morning.

“I didn’t want to believe what was happening,” said devastated friend Daniel Wilson.

“It was really cold in the room as the air con was on really low. I tickled Peter’s feet to try and get his attention but his feet were really cold. He just looked asleep.”

Toxicologist Julie Evans said the combination of vodka and Red Bull may have meant Nicholson was unaware of how drunk he was.

“There are some concerns around the process of people consuming vodka and Red Bull,” she told the inquest. 

“It is a stimulant. It can counter the effects of alcohol and people consume more alcohol not realising how intoxicated they are. It is called ‘wide-eyed drunk’.

“When you mix Red Bull with vodka you are risking masking the effect of alcohol on the body.”

Coroner Alison Mutch recorded a conclusion of accidental death. 

lhanna@nydailynews.com

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.

Nation / World – NY Daily News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Read previous post:
Ryan Reynold: having a baby can make you 'hallucinate'

According to Ryan Reynolds, you don't need Peyote to hallucinate — just have a baby. "F--k peyote....You want to trip...

Close